Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Witchcraft?

"Begun in 1990, the Blah Blah Firm has undergone several incantations to attain its present form today." Found on a website that shall remain unnamed because it's a client and I try not to piss off clients. Really, I do.

What kinds of spells do you think they used? Were they simply shape shifting or truly morphing from one form to another? All this witchcraft - how very Harry Potterish of them. This kind of word misuse drives me nuts. (It's INCARNATIONS, you idiots! INCARNATIONS!) I don't care how good these people are at what they do. If they can't bother to have someone competent proofread their website, I don't want to work with them.


(Watch - despite my use of spell check and my own proofreading, I've probably misspelled or misused several words! That would be so ironical, wouldn't it?)

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Incantations, hee hee. That's funny.

landismom said...

I think they probably used a crystal ball, or something like that. These kinds of errors irritate me, too.

Does the word professional mean anything any more?

Mary P. said...

(You popped by my blog. Now I'm returning the favour - or checking you out, however you choose to view it!)

"Incantations." I love it. I would have been frothing, too.

Here's another good one:

From a sarcastic note penned by a disgruntled ex, reluctantly acknowledging a gracious act on the part of the note's recipient:

"That was very unanimous of you, I'm sure."

They meant "magnanimous". (No, I wasn't either of the parties.)

You know the one that I see everywhere that drives me mad? "Then" when "than" is meant.

KimberlyDi said...

At work, we received a flyer with the motto "the company that over-promises and under-performs". My boss laughed for 30 minutes.